Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My Top Writing Tips!

Hey guys!
I've had a good reaction to my Story, Stormchild and the Ninja: https://community.lego.com/t5/NINJAGO-Stories/Stormchild-and-the-Ninja/m-p/7191144#M92565
So I've decided to put up my writing tips to help you write stories!


   1. Start, Middle, Finish
   You need to know how it Starts, what happens in the middle, and how it's         going to finish, or it could last Forever! I was writing a story, and didn't how to finish it - so it's unfinished!

   2. Write it on Paper(this is useful if you use the Lego message boards)
       Lots of  people (I'm not saying all, but a lot) will just type up chapters on the spot without reviewing them. ALWAYS write it on paper first - then when you type it up, you can edit it!

  3. Music
      Listening to music is a good way to feel things in the story - or to add things to it. I was writing a story and got stuck. Should Kai's friend die or survive?I wondered. The music became sad, wistful and full of shock and surprise. I know Kai's friend would die, so I wrote it.

 4. In their Shoes
    Try to imagine how you would feel being in your characters position.

 5. What is its History?
     Think about why something happened - then write the story about it's History! It will give your story a fuller feeling - plus you can post it up later if you want. Did you know J.R.R. Tolkien wrote twelve books on Middle Earth's History just to write the Lord of the Rings?

 6. Read it to Somebody.
    ALWAYS read your story to somebody. Siblings can be good for this, especially if it is about their fave topic. If you don't have siblings, then read it to a friend - and ask if they like it!

 7. Edit Edit Edit!
     There is always a part to be edited: A word added, taken, changed, a paragraph added, taken or changed etc. This is one of the most important steps.

8. Heading
   What do you want your heading to be? Something that says: bla bla bla is in this, or something that will make the reader wonder? This is up to you. The more catchy the heading, the more likely people are to read it!


I hope this gave you some help. If you have any good tips, feel free to post them!
WillowUnicorn

   

No comments:

Post a Comment